Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Who's behind the Turtleneck?

I have a turtle neck and, because I live in Florida where Fall means it’s 85 degrees outside instead of 90, l can’t wear a turtleneck to cover it up. I see commercials all the time for plastic surgery which I would never do, or would I?
When I look in the mirror or see photos of myself it’s always a shocker because I don’t feel my age.

Recently, I had an especially rude awakening when I got my new passport. My old picture was taken in 1995, 15 years ago.
I made the mistake of looking at the two pictures side by side and saw all 15 years written on my face.
I saw the gray hair from my divorce, the worry lines from my kids’ teenage years, the wrinkles caused by extreme anxiety when they got driver’s licenses; there was the skeptical glare and twitch in one eye from dating again. The nail-biting decision to buy a place on my own left me looking pale and tense. The fatigue from opening a business and running it while working full-time created drooping lines. Sleepless nights and gritting my teeth made my smile tremulous at best when I lost my job and closed my business within months of each other and the skepticism and insecurity rumpled my skin when I started job-hunting for the first time in 30 years.
Yes, my face was a road map of where I had been.

I thought about wearing my headbands upside down to help the sagging but that would be kind of obvious and not easily explained and the turtlenecks were out so, maybe scarves? Plastic surgery would not change who I am. Dieting and exercise helped me feel better about myself and I came to grips with who I am now and not the woman in the photo 15 years ago.
Those 15 years passed by, but I lived every one of them!
Yes it might show on my face but, you can also see the wrinkles of satisfaction from raising two amazing children, the creases around my eyes from smiling and laughing whenever I am with them, the peaceful contentment of having a husband who supports and loves me no matter what, and the smirk of amusement that life tried to beat me down and I’m still kicking. So I'll keep covering those gray hairs every three weeks and with this new passport maybe I can add a squint from peering into the distance toward my next great adventure... 

1 comment:

Lynn at Southern Fried French said...

You go girl! Those lines tell a story that's all yours. I've got a few of those myself. Happy adventuring!