Friday, May 6, 2011

My Mother the Diplomat

My sister-in-law and I both made carrot cake for dessert this Easter. Mom was supposed to coordinate the menu and failed to update us that we both were bringing dessert and the same kind. Oops! 
When we discovered this, instead of letting everyone just enjoy their dessert, I made it into a competition and tried to throw Mom under the bus by having her choose which cake was the best. (I am the youngest child, I have issues ok.)
She promptly walked away muttering,"I don't want dessert."

My Mother the Diplomat
Happy Mother's Day and a very Happy Birthday to the Best Mother in the world! 

"The" Carrot Cake
Sift together 2 cups flour, 2 tsp baking powder, 1 1/2 tsp salt and 2 tsp cinnamon. Set aside.
Mix together 2 cups of sugar, 1 1/2 cups oil, 4 large eggs, 2 cups (1lb) of shredded carrots, 8oz can of crushed pineapple-drained, 1 cup of sweetened coconut flakes.
Add the wet ingredients to the dry and mix well.
Butter and flour two round cake pans. Pour batter evenly into both pans.
Bake at 350 for approximately 35 minutes, until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. 
Cool 5 minutes and then run a knife around the edges of the pans before removing the cake.
Allow to cool completely.
Cream Cheese frosting
Mix 8oz of softened cream cheese with 1 stick of softened unsalted butter.
Add 1 tsp vanilla and slowly mix in 1 1/3 cups of confectioners sugar until smooth consistency.
I made extra frosting and added some of the crushed pineapple for the filling between the layers.


 Thanks for this recipe Sandi. Even though Mom wouldn't eat it it turned out great!

No comments: