Wednesday, February 2, 2011

HOW TO LOSE WEIGHT AFTER 50-really?

I came across this article on losing weight after 50 and, since I just turned 50 and my goal is to be Fifty and Fabulous, instead of  Big Fat Fifty, I thought it it might be useful information.
Here are the highlights:

#1-Get plenty of sleep. Turn off the television earlier and get to bed at the same time most nights to take advantage of the benefits that sleep can provide.
   First mistake, I'm reading this at Midnight because I stayed up late to watch the Real Housewives of Beverly Hills Reunion-part 2, make room on the scale.

#2-Schedule some time each day, even if it's fifteen or twenty minutes, to walk or jog. Cardiovascular exercise increases lung capacity and strengthens the heart. Use it as a relaxation tool as your body reaps the benefits of the endorphins released in your brain from the exercise.
   I walk my beagles every day for more than 20 minutes and not only is it not relaxing but the only lung capacity that's increasing is the crazy hounds you can hear them howling at the squirrels from blocks away.

#3-Add in weight training at least 3 times weekly. Increasing your muscle mass protects your joints and helps fight the gravity that has begun to work on your body.
  This is definitely worth a try, any help I can get to fight gravity would be great because my boobs fell and they can't get up.


#4-Watch what you eat--it's a key component to rebuilding your health. A good rule of thumb is to fill half your plate with vegetables. 
This one is just not going to work for me at all, I believe in filling half my plate with dessert.

#5-Check your thyroid, problems with this gland can affect your metabolic rate along with your ability to burn fat and calories. 
It could be my thyroid that keeps the weight hanging around after fifty or
it could be filling half my plate with dessert.

No comments: